Connect with us

News

NAF dismisses Boko Haram, says video of downed Alpha jet doctored

Published

on

The Nigerian Air Force (NAF) has denied that its missing alpha jet was brought down by Boko Haram fighters.

The jet, which was deployed against the insurgents went off the radar on Wednesday.

Although the air force has disclosed the identities of its men aboard the missing aircraft, it has been unable to account for them.

However, on Friday, Boko Haram claimed responsibility for the attack and released a video to back up its claim.

But reacting in a statement, Edward Gabkwet, Spokesman of the air force, said Boko Haram fighters were not capable of bringing down the jet.

“Although the video is still being thoroughly analysed, it is evident that most parts of the video were deliberately doctored to give the false impression that the aircraft was shot down.”

“For instance, the video clip failed to show the correlation between the sporadic shooting, which even from casual observation was obviously aimed at ground targets, and the sudden mid-air aircraft explosion.

“In addition, it is almost impossible for an aircraft to have exploded mid-air, in the manner depicted in the video, and still have a good part of its fuselage, including its tail, intact. Indeed, an explosive impact of that nature would have scattered the debris of the aircraft across several miles.

“It is obvious that the Boko Haram sect, in its characteristic manner of employing false propaganda, is seeking to claim credit for what was obviously an air accident that could have been caused by several other reasons; particularly at a time when the capability of the group to inflict mayhem has been significantly degraded by the Armed Forces of Nigeria,” he said.

Experts had earlier told Daily Trust that given the distance the air craft flew and where Boko Haram operated from, it is highly possible that the insurgents only took advantage of the mishap involving NAF.