Connect with us

News

Anxiety as B’Haram kills 30 soldiers, burnt down military base

Published

on

Boko Haram has launched a fatal attack on a Nigerian military base culminating in the killing of no fewer than 30 Nigerian soldiers. The insurgents also set a military base on fire in Northern Nigeria.

The insurgents also set fire to a Nigerian army tanker and some houses in the military base.

Accountant General

Military sources told SaharaReporters that militants from the Islamic State-backed Boko Haram group, the Islamic State West Africa Province (ISWAP), formerly known as Jam’at Ahl as-Sunnah lid-Da’wah wa’l-Jihd, attacked a Nigerian Army location at 156 Battalion in Mainok district, Borno State, on Sunday, killing over 30 soldiers.

Mainok is the administrative center of Borno’s Kaga Local Government Area.

According to SaharaReporters, the terrorists who arrived in 15 gun trucks also set fire to the military base.

According to a source, the gunmen arrived in various groups and could not be countered.

He went on to say that about 30 Nigerian soldiers were killed, with the remainder fleeing into the jungle.

The insurgents also set fire to a Nigerian army tanker and some houses in the military base.

“Boko Haram members invaded the military super camp in Borno today, with our men putting up a valiant battle to protect the base and fend off the insurgents.

“However, despite their valiant efforts, the soldiers were defeated because they were unable to withstand the terrorists’ superior firepower.

Over 30 bodies of dead soldiers have been recovered so far,” a source told SaharaReporters.

In North-Eastern Nigeria, Boko Haram and its offshoot, Islamic State West Africa Province, have killed thousands and displaced millions.

The Nigerian military has consistently asserted that the insurgency has been largely defeated, and any casualties are often downplayed.

Soldiers have been attacked by insurgents who have set up ambushes in their direction in recent months.

Since January 2021, hundreds of soldiers and officers have reportedly been killed.

Two explosive-laden vehicles rammed into a military convoy in Wulgo, killing at least 33 soldiers.

Abu Bakr al-Siddiq and Bana Jundullah were identified as the suicide bombers. Four military vehicles, according to the group, were also lost.

The insurgents also killed about 20 soldiers in Malari, Borno State, in February.

The soldiers were on patrol following credible intelligence to clear some Boko Haram elements in the region when they were ambushed by the group, according to SaharaReporters.

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *